Fake News, Real News, and What You Can Do
“I would never say anything bad about a person that has a disability…I swear to you it’s true, 100 percent true…Who would do that to [the] handicapped?” – Donald Trump
The rights of Americans with disabilities are under siege. Disability Rights Advocates knows how to protect them. DRA has a 25-year history of concrete results for men, women and children with disabilities, guided by a vision that everyone deserves to participate fully in society.
In the face of weakening civil rights statutes which protect people with disabilities, DRA is creating change throughout the country. Here are just a few recent highlights:
- April 5th—suit filed against BART for discrimination against people with disabilities challenging elevators that are broken, or so soiled that they are unusable, as well as non-functioning escalators and fare gates.
- April 10th—The city of Long Beach reaches a settlement with DRA, agreeing to improve sidewalk access citywide.
- April 25th—two class actions filed challenging NYC’s subway system’s exclusion of users of wheelchairs and walkers. One suit challenges the refusal to install elevators at 350 inaccessible NYC stations, a second challenging the failure to maintain the few elevators that exist.
- April 28th—agreement with AMC ensuring that blind customers have access to verbal description of visual events on screen relayed via headsets.
- May 16th—agreement with Northwest Hospital and Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community Partners to ensure effective communication during health care.
You can take bold action in troubled times. When you support DRA, you are certain to make a difference. You enable us to pursue high-impact, life-enhancing cases for people with disabilities that other firms won’t. Take a stand and put your dollars to work now for social justice.
P.S.: We have established the Larry Paradis Legacy Fund in honor of my dear friend and our late co-founder. On our website, you can find more information about this Fund and Larry’s work.