We are seeking a resourceful and organized Staff Accountant with 5+ years’ experience in general accounting and payroll, and proficiency using QuickBooks. Reporting to and working closely with our Director of Finance, DRA’s Staff Accountant will oversee the full monthly and yearly accounting cycle, including payroll functions, A/P and A/R, and expense allocations.
We are Disability Rights Advocates (DRA), the leading nonprofit disability rights legal center in the nation advancing equal rights and opportunities for people with all types of disabilities. With offices in California and New York, DRA represents people with disabilities in complex, system-changing, class-action cases, achieving dramatic improvements in all areas of life: technology, health care, employment, transportation, education, disaster preparedness planning, voting, juvenile justice, and housing. DRA’s business model is based on from fees from cases and contributed revenue (no government funding!). For more information on DRA’s mission and impact visit www.dralegal.org.
DRA is an equal opportunity employer and values a diverse workforce and inclusive culture. DRA encourages applications from all qualified individuals and does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, veteran status, disability, AIDS/HIV status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
DRA is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities in all aspects of the employment process. If a reasonable accommodation is needed, please contact email@example.com with the subject line “Accommodations Request.”
This is a full-time position in our Berkeley, CA office.
- Perform monthly, quarterly, and annual closes, including bank and credit card reconciliations and shared cost allocations, meeting close schedule deadlines
- Maintain general ledger and subsidiary ledgers, including updated fixed assets schedules
- Manage A/P and A/R processes: ensure required approvals and documentation (including expense reimbursements), and enter data into QuickBooks
- Prepare and process weekly check runs, prepare bank deposits, and monitor operating cash levels
- Assist in tracking and reporting restricted income and spending against grants
- Maintain systems for tracking legal case expenses and revenue releases over multiple years
- Create and maintain sharable, audit-compliant filing systems for accounting and payroll documentation
- Partner with management to ensure accurate monthly invoices for benefits, IT services, property management, etc.
- Ensure sound financial accounting practices and compliance with approved procedures
Payroll & Benefits
- Collect and input all payroll data into Paylocity and run semi-monthly payroll; communicate with staff to ensure timely submission of completed, approved timesheets
- On-board new employees into Paylocity, and calculate final checks for terminating employees
- Run payroll reports for management review
- Respond to employee questions regarding payroll
- Confirm submission of quarterly and year end payroll taxes and reports by Paylocity
- Coordinate preparation of annual 1099’s
Financial Reporting, Audit, Budget, and Other Responsibilities
- Ensure the accuracy and completeness of financial data, in support of monthly close and grant reporting schedules
- Support the annual audit process by preparing audit schedules and providing documentation and information to external auditors during all phases of the audit
- Coordinate with the development department on proper coding of contributed income and releases of restricted revenue
- Run ad hoc reports on legal case expenditures
- Assist with developing the annual budget and inputting it into QuickBooks
Required Skills & Experience
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in an independently functioning accountant role; nonprofit experience strongly preferred
- Highly organized with reliable and accurate collection, reporting, and communication skills
- Demonstrated proficiency in QuickBooks, MS Excel, Word, Outlook, and electronic third-party payroll systems (preferably Paylocity)
- Demonstrated knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) as they pertain to nonprofit accounting, and experience with grant management and reporting
- Proven ability to prioritize and complete work on an agreed-upon timeline
- Strong written and oral communication skills and ability to work collaboratively and responsively with program, development, operations, and administration staff
Preferred Skills & Experience
- B.A. or A.A. in Accounting, or equivalent experience
- Experience working with Paylocity