Civil Rights Law Firm Seeks Litigator with 3-6 Years’ Experience
Disability Rights Advocates (DRA), a non-profit, civil rights law firm, seeks a dynamic and motivated litigator who shares our vision of creating a society that strives toward justice and fairness for all. Ideal candidates have 3-6 years’ experience in complex, civil rights and/or class action litigation. This position opening is in DRA’s Berkeley, CA office.
DRA advances equal rights and opportunities for people with a wide range of disabilities through high-impact litigation utilizing federal, state, and local disability law. With offices in New York and California, DRA fights for equal access and dramatic improvements for people with disabilities in all areas of life, including: technology, health care, employment, transportation, education, voting, juvenile justice, and housing. With a high success rate for over 26 years and more than 500 cases, DRA continues to take on significant and novel cases to achieve a meaningful impact for people with disabilities across the nation.
- Play a role in all aspects of litigation including, drafting legal research memos, litigation/discovery plans, written discovery, document review, taking and defending depositions, motion practice, brief writing, oral argument, and client management
- Engage in all aspects of investigations and case development, including factual research, legal research, site visits, and client development
- Take part in all aspects of settlement negotiations, including drafting structured negotiations agreements, mediation statements, term sheets, settlement agreements, and representing and/or attending negotiation sessions and conferences
- Monitor settlement agreements
- Assisting at Trial
- Conduct client outreach, and development and maintenance of relevant relationships with individuals and organizations within the disability community
- Support DRA’s fundraising and communications efforts
- Commitment to DRA’s mission to advance equal rights and opportunity for people with all types of disabilities nationwide
- 3-6 years’ experience and demonstrated success in civil rights litigation
- Excellent writing and oral advocacy skills
- Knowledge of legal principles and practices related to high impact or class action litigation
- Self-directed with strong initiative, strong communication skills, efficient time management, follow-through, and flexibility around changing priorities and deadlines
- Connection to disability or passion for our mission desirable, but extensive disability law experience not necessary
- An active license in good standing with the California State Bar
- Spanish language fluency desirable
For more information on DRA’s mission and impact visit www.dralegal.org
DRA offers a competitive salary with comprehensive benefits including medical, dental, and vision insurance with 100% paid employee premiums, 401(k) with company contribution, generous holiday and paid time off benefits, and additional health and commuter benefits.
How to Apply
Please send the following to email@example.com with “CA Staff Attorney” as the subject:
- Cover letter (including how you learned about this job opening)
- Three professional references (at least two direct supervisors)
- A list of the major cases you have worked on and a description of your role
- A writing sample (no more than 3-5 pages)
DRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and values diversity. Applicant are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, disability, veteran status, genetics, or any other category protected under the law.