Civil Rights Law Firm Seeks Litigator with 3-7 Years’ Experience
Disability Rights Advocates (DRA), a non-profit, civil rights law firm, seeks a dynamic and motivated litigator who shares our vision of creating a society that strives toward justice and fairness for all. Ideal candidates have 3-7 years’ experience in complex, civil rights and/or class action litigation. This position opening is in DRA’s Berkeley, CA or DRA’s New York, NY office, with the possibility for fully remote work upon request, on a case-by-case basis.
DRA advances equal rights and opportunities for people with a wide range of disabilities through high-impact litigation utilizing federal, state, and local disability law. With offices in New York and California, DRA fights for equal access and dramatic improvements for people with disabilities in all areas of life, including: technology, health care, employment, transportation, education, voting, juvenile justice, and housing. With a high success rate for nearly 30 years and more than 500 cases, DRA continues to take on significant and novel cases to achieve a meaningful impact for people with disabilities across the nation. For more information on DRA’s mission and impact visit www.dralegal.org
- Take an active role in all aspects of litigation including, drafting legal research memos, litigation/discovery plans, written discovery, document review, taking and defending depositions, motion practice, brief writing, advocacy in court, and client management
- Engage in all aspects of investigations and case development, including factual research, legal research, site visits, and client development
- Take part in all aspects of settlement negotiations, including drafting structured negotiations agreements, mediation statements, term sheets, settlement agreements, and representing and/or attending negotiation sessions and conferences
- Monitor settlement agreements
- Assisting at Trial
- Conduct client outreach, and development and maintenance of relevant relationships with individuals and organizations within the disability community
- Support DRA’s fundraising and communications efforts
- Commitment to DRA’s mission to advance equal rights and opportunity for people with all types of disabilities nationwide
- 3-7 years’ experience and demonstrated success in civil rights litigation
- Excellent writing and advocacy skills
- Knowledge of legal principles and practices related to high impact or class action litigation
- Self-directed with strong initiative, strong communication skills, efficient time management, time-keeping, follow-through, effective at working in teams, and flexibility around changing priorities and deadlines
- Connection to disability or passion for our mission desirable, but extensive disability law experience not necessary
- An active license in good standing with the California or New York State Bar (or plans to become licensed in California or New York within one year of their hire date)
DRA offers a competitive salary of $92,000-$115,000/year, based on years of legal experience. Comprehensive benefits including top tier medical, dental, and vision insurance with 100% paid employee premiums, 401(k) with company contribution, generous holiday and paid time off benefits, and additional health and commuter benefits.
During the COVID-19 pandemic, all DRA employees have been temporarily working remotely. When our offices reopen, we will provide a remote-friendly workplace with flexibility to partially work from home. DRA will consider an employee being fully remote on a case-by-case basis. This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 20.
How to Apply
Please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Staff Attorney” as the subject
- Cover letter (including how you learned about this job opening and whether you are seeking employment in CA, NY, or fully remote employment)
- Three professional references (at least two direct supervisors)
- A list of the major cases you have worked on and a description of your role
- A writing sample (5-10 pages)
DRA is an equal opportunity employer and values a diverse workforce and inclusive culture.
DRA encourages applications from all qualified individuals and does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, veteran status, disability, AIDS/HIV status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
DRA is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities in all aspects of the employment process. If a reasonable accommodation is needed, please contact email@example.com with the subject line “Accommodations Request.”