Disability Rights Advocates (DRA) is the leading nonprofit disability rights legal center in the nation advancing equal rights and opportunities for people with all types of disabilities. With offices in California and New York, DRA represents people with disabilities in complex, system-changing, class-action cases, achieving dramatic improvements in all areas of life: technology, health care, employment, transportation, education, disaster preparedness planning, voting, juvenile justice, and housing.
For more information on DRA’s mission and impact visit www.dralegal.org
DRA seeks a resourceful and organized Staff Accountant with 5+ years’ experience in general accounting and payroll, and proficiency using QuickBooks. Reporting to and working closely with our Director of Finance, DRA’s Staff Accountant will oversee the full monthly and yearly accounting cycle, including payroll functions, A/P and A/R, and expense allocations.
DRA is now and has been for many years, very financially stable, with a solid business model involving fees from cases and contributed revenue (no government funding!), in addition to a healthy reserve. Also, our books are up to date and old files are boxed up and labeled with future destruction dates! We are a small office of 30 with straightforward non-profit accounting and payroll.
This is a full-time position in our Berkeley, CA or New York, NY office.
- Manage A/P and A/R processes and enter data into QuickBooks
- Prepare and process weekly check runs and bank deposits, and monitor operating cash levels
- Maintain general ledger and subsidiary ledgers, including updating fixed assets schedules
- Perform monthly, quarterly, and annual closes
- Assist in tracking and reporting restricted income and spending against grants
- Maintain systems for tracking legal case expenses and revenue releases
- Create and maintain sharable, audit-compliant filing systems
Payroll & Benefits
- Collect and input all payroll data into Paylocity and run semi-monthly payroll
- Confirm submission of quarterly and year end payroll taxes and reports by Paylocity
- Coordinate preparation of annual 1099’s
Financial Reporting, Audit, Budget, and Other Responsibilities
- Support the annual audit process by preparing audit schedules and providing documentation to external auditors
- Coordinate with the development department on proper coding of contributed income and releases of restricted revenue
- Run ad hoc reports on legal case expenditures
- Assist with developing the annual budget and inputting it into QuickBooks
Required Skills & Experience
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in an independently functioning accountant role; nonprofit experience strongly preferred
- Highly organized with reliable and accurate collection, reporting, and communication skills
- Demonstrated proficiency in QuickBooks, MS Excel, Word, Outlook, and electronic third-party payroll systems (preferably Paylocity)
- Demonstrated knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) as they pertain to nonprofit accounting, and experience with grant management and reporting
- Proven ability to prioritize and complete work on an agreed-upon timeline
- Strong written and oral communication skills and ability to work collaboratively and responsively with program, development, operations, and administrative staff
Preferred Skills & Experience
- A. or A.A. in Accounting, or equivalent experience
- Experience working with Paylocity
DRA offers a competitive base salary with comprehensive benefits including medical, dental, and vision insurance with 100% employer-paid premiums, 401(k) with company contribution, generous holiday and paid time off benefits, and additional health and commuter benefits.
How to Apply
Please send the following to email@example.com with “Staff Accountant” as the subject:
- Cover letter including how you learned about this role
- Three professional references (at least two direct supervisors)
DRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and values diversity. Applicant are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, disability, veteran status, genetics, or any other category protected under the law.