Senior Staff Attorney
Civil Rights Law Firm Seeks Litigator with 6+ Years’ Experience
Disability Rights Advocates (DRA), a non-profit, civil rights law firm, seeks a dynamic and motivated litigator who shares our vision of creating a society that strives toward justice and fairness for all. Ideal candidates have at least six years’ experience in all aspects of complex, class action litigation. This position opening is in DRA’s New York, NY office, with the possibility for working out of DRA’s Chicago, IL or Berkeley, CA offices, or fully remote work upon request, on a case-by-case basis.
DRA advances equal rights and opportunities for people with a wide range of disabilities through high-impact litigation utilizing federal, state, and local disability law. With offices in New York City, Chicago, and Berkeley, DRA fights for equal access and dramatic improvements for people with disabilities in all areas of life, including: technology, health care, employment, transportation, education, voting, juvenile justice, and housing. With a high success rate for more than 30 years, DRA continues to take on significant and novel cases to achieve a meaningful impact for people with disabilities across the nation. For more information on DRA’s mission and impact, visit www.dralegal.org
- Under the direction of legal managers:
- Serve in a lead role in litigation and investigations, including case development, legal strategy, factual research, legal research, site visits, and client development; and
- Represent clients in complex class action and other high-impact lawsuits, individually or as part of a team, through all stages of litigation, including written discovery, document review, taking and defending depositions, meeting and conferring with opposing counsel, motion practice, brief writing, in-court argument, client management, and appellate, trial, and monitoring work as needed; and
- Negotiate settlement agreements, including drafting structured negotiation agreements, mediation statements, term sheets, settlement agreements, and representing clients in negotiation sessions and conferences
- Serve as a mentor and/or provide trainings to summer law clerks, fellows, and staff attorneys
- Conducting client outreach, development and maintenance of relevant relationships with individuals and organizations within the disability community
- Support and engage in DRA’s fundraising and communication efforts
- Additional duties as assigned
- Commitment to DRA’s mission to advance equal rights and opportunity for people with all types of disabilities nationwide
- 6+ years’ litigation or equivalent experience, preferably in civil rights. We will not consider candidates with less than 6 years of experience for this position
- Excellent writing and in-court/negotiation advocacy skills
- Knowledge of legal principles and practices related to high impact or class action litigation
- Self-directed with strong initiative, efficient time management, follow through, and flexibility around changing priorities and deadlines
- Connection to disability or passion for our mission desirable, but extensive disability law experience not necessary
- An active license in good standing with the California, New York, or Illinois Bar (or plans to become licensed in California, New York, or Illinois within one year of their hire date)
DRA offers a competitive salary of $110,000-150,000/year, based on years of legal experience. Comprehensive benefits including top tier medical, dental, and vision insurance with 100% paid employee premiums, 401(k) with company contribution, generous holiday and paid time off benefits, and additional health and commuter benefits.
This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 20.
How to Apply
Please send the following to email@example.com with “Senior Staff Attorney” as the subject:
- Cover letter (including how you learned about this job opening and whether you are seeking employment in CA, IL, NY, or fully remote employment). Applications without cover letters will not be considered.
- Three professional references (at least two direct supervisors)
- A list of the major cases you have worked on and a description of your role
- A writing sample (5-10 pages)
DRA is an equal opportunity employer and values a diverse workforce and inclusive culture.
DRA encourages applications from all qualified individuals and does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, veteran status, disability, AIDS/HIV status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
DRA is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities in all aspects of the employment process. If a reasonable accommodation is needed for the hiring process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Accommodations Request.”