Senior Staff Attorney
Civil Rights Law Firm Seeks Litigator with 8+ Years’ Experience
Disability Rights Advocates (DRA), a non-profit, civil rights law firm, seeks a dynamic and motivated litigator who shares our vision of creating a society that strives toward justice and fairness for all. Ideal candidates have at least eight years’ experience in all aspects of complex, class action litigation. This position opening is in DRA’s Berkeley, CA or New York, NY office.
DRA advances equal rights and opportunities for people with a wide range of disabilities through high-impact litigation utilizing federal, state, and local disability law. With offices in New York and California, DRA fights for equal access and dramatic improvements for people with disabilities in all areas of life, including: technology, health care, employment, transportation, education, voting, juvenile justice, and housing. With a high success rate for nearly 30 years and more than 500 cases, DRA continues to take on significant and novel cases to achieve a meaningful impact for people with disabilities across the nation. For more information on DRA’s mission and impact, visit www.dralegal.org
- Successfully handle complex class action suits, individually or as part of a team, through all stages of litigation, including written discovery, depositions, motion practice, brief writing, in-court argument, client management, and monitoring
- Serve in a lead role in investigations and case development, including, factual research, legal research, site visits, and client development
- Competently carry out all aspects of settlement negotiations, including drafting mediation statements, settlement agreements and representing clients in negotiation sessions and conferences
- Assist with appellate and trial work as needed
- Support and engage in DRA’s fundraising, outreach, and communication efforts
- 8+ years’ experience and demonstrated success litigating civil rights oriented lawsuits
- Excellent writing and in-court advocacy skills
- Knowledge of legal principles and practices related to high impact or class action litigation
- Self-directed with strong initiative, efficient time management, follow through, and flexibility around changing priorities and deadlines
- Connection to disability or passion for our mission desirable, but extensive disability law experience not necessary
- An active license in good standing with the New York or California Bar
DRA offers a competitive salary starting at $120,000/year, based on years of legal experience. Comprehensive benefits including top tier medical, dental, and vision insurance with 100% paid employee premiums, 401(k) with company contribution, generous holiday and paid time off benefits, and additional health and commuter benefits.
When our offices reopen in 2022, we will provide a remote-friendly workplace with flexibility to partially work from home.
How to Apply
Please send the following to email@example.com with “Senior Staff Attorney” as the subject:
- Cover letter (including how you learned about this job opening and whether you are seeking employment in CA or NY)
- Three professional references (at least two direct supervisors)
- A list of the major cases you have worked on and a description of your role
- A writing sample (5-10 pages)
DRA is an equal opportunity employer and values a diverse workforce and inclusive culture.
DRA encourages applications from all qualified individuals and does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, veteran status, disability, AIDS/HIV status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
DRA is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities in all aspects of the employment process. If a reasonable accommodation is needed, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Accommodations Request.”