Senior Staff Attorney
Civil Rights Law Firm Seeks Litigator with 8+ Years’ Experience
Disability Rights Advocates (DRA), a non-profit, civil rights law firm, seeks a dynamic and motivated litigator who shares our vision of creating a society that strives toward justice and fairness for all. Ideal candidates have at least eight years’ experience in all aspects of complex, class action litigation, along with outstanding professional credentials. This position opening is in DRA’s New York City office.
DRA advances equal rights and opportunities for people with a wide range of disabilities through high-impact litigation utilizing federal, state, and local disability law. With offices in New York, California and Chicago, DRA fights for equal access and dramatic improvements for people with disabilities in all areas of life: technology, health care, employment, transportation, education, voting, juvenile justice, and housing. With a high success rate for over 26 years and more than 500 cases, DRA continues to take on significant and novel cases to achieve a meaningful impact for people with disabilities across the nation.
- Successfully handle complex class action suits, individually or as part of a team, through all stages of litigation, including written discovery, depositions, motion practice, brief writing, oral argument and client management
- Serve in a lead role in investigations and case development, including, factual research, legal research, site visits, and client development
- Competently carry out all aspects of settlement negotiations, including drafting mediation statements, settlement agreements and representing clients in negotiation sessions and conferences
- Assist with appellate and trial work as needed
- Support and engage in DRA’s fundraising, outreach and communication efforts
- 8+ years’ experience and demonstrated success litigating civil rights oriented lawsuits
- Excellent writing and oral advocacy skills
- Knowledge of legal principles and practices related to high impact or class action litigation
- Self-directed with strong initiative, efficient time management, follow through, and flexibility around changing priorities and deadlines
- Connection to disability or passion for our mission desirable, but extensive disability law experience not necessary
- An active license in good standing with the New York Bar
- Spanish language fluency desirable
For more information on DRA’s mission and impact visit www.dralegal.org
DRA offers a competitive salary with comprehensive benefits including medical, dental, and vision insurance with 100% paid employee premiums, 401(k) with company contribution, generous holiday and paid time off benefits, and additional health and commuter benefits.
How to Apply
Please send the following to email@example.com with NYC Senior Staff Attorney as the subject:
- Cover letter (including how you learned about this job opening)
- Three professional references (at least two direct supervisors)
- A list of the major cases you have worked on and a description of your role
- A writing sample (no more than 3-5 pages)
DRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and values diversity. Applicant are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, disability, veteran status, genetics, or any other category protected under the law.