Litigation Assistant / Paralegal (NY)
Disability Rights Advocates (DRA), one of the leading nonprofit disability rights legal centers in the nation, is setting precedents and challenging norms. With offices in California and New York, we provide free legal representation in complex, system changing, class-action cases—achieving dramatic improvements for people with disabilities seeking access to government services and businesses, health care, employment, transportation, education, disaster preparedness planning, voting, and housing. For more information on DRA’s mission and impact visit, www.dralegal.org.
We are seeking a trustworthy, self-motivated individual to join our dynamic, results-oriented team. You will be responsible for assisting in all aspects of work supporting DRA’s high-impact civil rights lawsuits in our expanding New York office. You will work closely with attorneys and other staff on investigations, client outreach, communication, factual research, finalizing and filing court pleadings, trial, and settlement negotiations, among other things. In our small office you will also assist with answering phones, greeting visitors, processing inquiries from the public, interviewing clients and witnesses, in addition to various other administrative duties.
This is a full time position in DRA’s New York, NY office.
- File/serve legal documents with court and on opposing parties
- Review transcripts and documentary evidence, and organize, track, and extract information from these materials
- Proofread, format, and create tables of authorities/contents for legal documents
- Conduct factual research using a variety of internet and hard-copy resources, and compile that research into written memos and reports
- Maintain client contact to gather evidence for cases, direct questions to appropriate attorneys, and provide updates on status of cases, etc.
- Create and maintain accessible documents in various formats including Word, PDF, and Excel (accessibility training will be provided)
- Provide administrative support to attorneys in all aspects of their work as needed including scheduling, reviewing and organizing documents, and emailing/calling clients
- A college graduate with an excellent academic record and a desire to work in a progressive setting focused on making society more just, fair, and accessible to all
- Excellent project management skills, the ability to track and meet deadlines, to work well under pressure, to work independently, and to be responsible/take ownership of your work
- A team player willing to take on a variety of tasks as needed to support the office
- Strong written and oral communication skills, for effective communication with DRA staff, clients, co-counsel, opposing counsel, judges, and court staff
- Experience using Microsoft Word, Outlook, Adobe Acrobat, and Excel
This is an hourly, non-exempt position with comprehensive benefits including medical, dental, and vision insurance with 100% paid employee premiums, 401(k) with company contribution, generous holiday and paid time off benefits, and additional health and commuter benefits. Compensation increases on a six month schedule with a cap, and after one year as a Litigation Assistant your title will change to Paralegal.
How to Apply
Please send the following to email@example.com with “Litigation Assistant NY” as the subject.
- Cover letter noting earliest available start date, and how you learned about this role
- Three professional references (at least one a direct supervisor)
*The ideal applicant will begin in June 2018.
DRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and values diversity. Applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, disability, veteran status, or any other category protected under the law.