Fellowship Attorney (September 2020)
Disability Rights Advocates (DRA), a non-profit law firm advancing equal rights and opportunities for people with a wide range of disabilities, is setting precedents and challenging norms. Attorneys at DRA gain valuable experience in undertaking high-impact litigation while doing work that is meaningful and advances civil rights. With offices in California and New York, we provide legal representation in complex, system-changing, class-action cases, achieving dramatic improvements for people with all types of disabilities in all areas of life, such as: technology, health care, employment, transportation, education, disaster preparedness planning, voting, juvenile justice, and housing.
For more information on DRA’s mission and impact visit www.dralegal.org
This position is in our Berkeley, CA, or New York, NY Office.
DRA seeks passionate, talented, hard-working candidates to apply for a DRA Fellowship which will begin in September of 2020. DRA has an established commitment to mentoring and training the best young lawyers to practice public interest law. Fellows at DRA get unparalleled experience and are provided immediate opportunity to participate in all aspects of public interest litigation. Fellowship Attorney positions are full-time and report to our Managing Attorneys.
- Commitment to DRA’s mission to advance equal rights and opportunity for people with all types of disabilities nationwide
- Superior legal research and writing skills
- Strong communication skills to, among other things, maintain and establish professional relationships with clients, co-counsel, and opposing counsel
- Excellent time management skills, including the ability to track and meet deadlines and work well under pressure
- Strong work ethic paired with the ability to adapt quickly to changing situations and circumstances
Candidates should be law students who will graduate in the spring of 2020, judicial law clerks, or recent law school graduates who are passionate about civil rights and disability law.
DRA offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, and vision insurance with 100% paid employee premiums, 401(k) with company contribution, generous holiday and paid time off benefits, and additional health and commuter benefits.
How to Apply
Please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Fellowship 2020” as the subject:
- Cover letter
- Law school transcript
- Three references (at least two direct supervisors)
- A writing sample (no more than 3-5 pages)
*We will review applications on a rolling basis, but priority consideration will be given to those who submit applications by June 28, 2019.
DRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and values diversity. Applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, disability, veteran status, or any other category protected under the law.