Development and Communications Manager
With offices in California and New York, Disability Rights Advocates is one of the leading nonprofit disability rights legal centers in the nation. DRA provides free legal representation to people with the full spectrum of disabilities in complex, system-changing class-action cases. Founded in 1993, DRA has taken on and won hundreds of cases—achieving dramatic improvements for people with disabilities in all areas of life: health care, employment, transportation, education, disaster preparedness planning, voting, and housing. DRA is seeking a Development and Communications Manager who shares our vision of creating a society that strives towards justice and fairness for all. For more information on DRA’s mission and impact visit www.dralegal.org
After 10 years of successful legal work on behalf of people with disabilities in New York and on the heels of our 2nd successful New York fundraising gala, DRA is hiring a New York-based Development and Communications Manager. To fill this new position, DRA is seeking an entrepreneurial, driven and talented professional; passionate about civil rights and capable of growing DRA’s East Coast presence, visibility, donor base, and contributed revenue raised.
The Development and Communications Manager is responsible for working closely with the Managing Directors and legal team in the planning, implementation, administration, and evaluation of all fundraising and communications activities, including: PR, social media, special events, individual giving, and foundation and corporate support. This exempt position will report directly to DRA’s Managing Director, Development & Operations.
- In conjunction with DRA’s Managing Director, Development & Operations, implement a fundraising plan that will significantly grow DRA’s revenue raised—especially from East Coast donors
- Support fundraising activity of DRA’s Managing Directors, Attorneys and Volunteers by setting up meetings, preparing donor research, and facilitating appropriate follow-up strategies
- Research, identify, cultivate, and successfully solicit gifts from individuals, foundations, and corporations:
- Write and report on grants
- Identify, approach, and solicit individual and corporate donors, especially law firms
- Manage direct mail campaigns
- Plan and implement fund and friend-raising special events
- Grow DRA’s planned giving program
- Manage fundraising calendar and track development activity in Salesforce (database)
- In conjunction with Risa Heller Communications (PR firm), implement national PR and communications plan that will significantly grow DRA’s visibility and profile
- In conjunction with DRA’s Managing Director, Development & Operations manage communications efforts for the organization including e-newsletters, e-blasts, social media posts, and other communications platforms
- Identify and cultivate relationships with members of the media yielding high-quality media coverage of DRA’s work
- Develop and produce communications materials and publications
- Capture and report on all communications activity
- Staff and help plan meetings with DRA’s East Coast Advisors and Board members
- Other duties as assigned
- Commitment to DRA’s mission to advance equal rights and opportunities for people with all types of disabilities nationwide
- Excellent communications skills including interpersonal and writing abilities
- A strong work ethic paired with the ability to adapt quickly to changing situations and circumstances
- Ability to identify, cultivate and sustain lasting relationships with individuals, corporations, foundations, and members of the media
- Ability to write winning grant proposals and reports
- Ability to expand and grow DRA’s donor base and media list
- Record of accomplishment in communications and/or fundraising
- Solid understanding of the New York media and/or philanthropic community
- Strong computer skills; including Salesforce or a similar CRM and Microsoft Office. Graphic design, photo editing, and social media development experience preferred.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to pay close attention to deadlines and detail
- Ability to work individually and collaboratively with good problem-solving skills
DRA offers a competitive salary with comprehensive benefits including medical, dental, and vision insurance with 100% paid employee premiums, 401(k) with company contribution, generous holiday and paid time off benefits, and additional health and commuter benefits.
DRA is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. To apply, please send the following to email@example.com with “Development & Communications Manager” as the subject
- Cover letter (noting how you learned about this position)
- Three references (at least two direct supervisors)
- Writing sample
Applicants will be considered on a rolling basis.
DRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, disability, veteran status, genetics, or any other category protected under the law.