Health Care Barriers
Disability Rights Advocates (DRA), a non-profit legal center, has succeeded in improving access to health care for people with disabilities through statewide legal settlements with Kaiser Permanente and Sutter Health, but much work remains to be done. DRA is currently investigating barriers to health care at other medical facilities in the Greater Los Angeles Area. If you have a disability and have experienced any of the following barriers at hospitals or clinics in the Los Angeles area, we want to hear your stories.
- Exam rooms too small?
- Examined while still in your wheelchair?
- Exam tables too high?
- Waiting rooms too crowded with furniture?
- MRI machines, x-ray tables or mammograms inaccessible?
- No accessible weight scales?
- No ASL interpreters?
- No talking prescriptions? (For blind and low vision)
- No information in Braille, large print or electronic formats?
- Staff does not understand your disability?
- Other barriers?
To share your stories, please contact:
DRA Fellowship Attorney
All communications will be kept confidential.