Disability Rights Advocates (DRA) in Berkeley, CA is seeking a Litigation Assistant who shares our vision of creating a society that strives towards justice and fairness for all. DRA is a national nonprofit disability rights legal center specializing in precedent-setting civil rights litigation designed to ensure dignity, equality, and opportunity for people with disabilities. DRA in the last 19 years has successfully litigated class-action cases improving conditions for millions of individuals with disabilities.
Litigation Assistants at DRA assist attorneys in all aspects of work on high impact civil litigation on behalf of people with disabilities. Litigation Assistants work closely with attorneys and other staff on investigations, client outreach and communications, factual research, preparation and filing of pleadings in courts throughout the country, discovery, trial, appeal, settlement negotiations, and other aspects of litigation.
- College graduate, with an interest in attending law school, with excellent academic achievement and a desire to work in a nonprofit legal center dedicated to high impact litigation on behalf of people with disabilities.
- Project management skills, including tracking and meeting deadlines, managing competing priorities, working under pressure, and communicating with responsible attorneys and staff.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills used in maintaining professional relationships with clients, class members, co-counsel, opposing counsel, court staff, vendors, coworkers, and others.
- Ability to undertake factual investigation using a variety of resources and to compile relevant information in written form.
- Ability to review deposition transcripts and documents using case management software to code and track such materials (DRA provides training on such case management software).
- Experience using Microsoft Office programs, particularly Word, Outlook, and Excel.
- Highly motivated, responsible, and able to work independently.
Preference will be given to individuals with a demonstrated commitment to public interest work. Experience with disability issues is helpful but not essential. Law school students and graduates need not apply. DRA is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. Starting salary is $13.25/hour plus excellent benefits.
Please email a cover letter, resume, and three professional references with contact information to:
Linda Ballentine, Director of Human Resources
Disability Rights Advocates
2001 Center Street, Fourth Floor
Berkeley, CA 94704-1204
Only emailed correspondence will be accepted.
Disability Rights Advocates is an equal opportunity employer. Individuals with disabilities and persons from historically disadvantaged groups are strongly encouraged to apply.