Civil Rights Law Firm Seeks Litigator with Three to Five Years’ Experience
Disability Rights Advocates (DRA), a non-profit law firm advancing equal rights and opportunities for people with a wide range of disabilities, is setting precedents and challenging norms. Attorneys at DRA gain valuable experience in undertaking high-impact litigation while doing work that is meaningful and advances civil rights. With offices in California and New York, we offer varied case work in complex, system changing, class-action cases, achieving dramatic improvements for people with all types of disabilities in all areas of life: technology, health care, employment, transportation, education, disaster preparedness planning, voting, juvenile justice, and housing.
For more information on DRA’s mission and impact visit www.dralegal.org.
This position is in our Berkeley, California office.
DRA seeks a dynamic and motivated litigator with three to five years’ experience who shares our vision of creating a society that strives toward justice and fairness for all. You have the opportunity to join one of the foremost civil rights non-profit legal centers that makes a huge difference in the lives of persons with disabilities. Ideal candidates have outstanding academic and professional credentials.
DRA has taken on more than 400 cases and won almost all, resulting in the elimination of solitary confinement in a California county juvenile hall, the provision of accessible taxis in New York City, and the creation of accessible websites, to name a few. No defendant is too big and no case avoided because it is novel. If you want to gain experience undertaking high-impact, class action litigation that advances civil rights, we’d love to hear from you.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Three to five years’ litigation experience that includes the following:
- undertaking factual investigation into potential cases,
- conducting legal research to develop legal claims,
- drafting and responding to written discovery,
- taking and defending depositions,
- writing briefs, and
- overseeing implementation of settlement agreements and/or consent decrees
- Preference given to candidates with class action experience
- Connection to disability preferred, but extensive disability law experience not necessary
- Must be an active member of the California Bar, in good standing, or eligible to practice under California’s Multijurisdictional Practice Rule
**If you have seven to ten years’ experience, please review our Senior Staff Attorney position: http://dralegal.org/jobs/senior-staff-attorney/
DRA offers a competitive salary with comprehensive benefits including medical, dental, and vision insurance with 100% paid employee premiums, 401(k) with company contribution, generous holiday and paid time off benefits, and additional health and commuter benefits.
How to Apply
Please send the following to email@example.com with Staff Attorney as the subject:
- Cover letter
- Three references (at least two direct supervisors)
- A list of the major cases you have worked on and a description of your role
- A writing sample (no more than 3-5 pages)
DRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and values diversity. Applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, disability, veteran status, or any other category protected under the law.