Senior Staff Attorney
Civil Rights Law Firm Seeks Litigator with Seven to Ten Years of Experience
Disability Rights Advocates (DRA), a non-profit law firm advancing equal rights and opportunities for people with a wide range of disabilities, is setting precedents and challenging norms. Attorneys at DRA gain valuable experience in undertaking high-impact litigation while doing work that is meaningful and advances civil rights. With offices in California and New York, we provide legal representation in complex, system changing, class-action cases, achieving dramatic improvements for people with all types of disabilities in all areas of life: technology, health care, employment, transportation, education, disaster preparedness planning, voting, juvenile justice, and housing.
This position is in our Berkeley, California office.
DRA is seeking a dynamic and motivated litigator with seven to ten years of experience who shares our vision of creating a society that strives toward justice and fairness for all. You have the opportunity to join one of the foremost civil rights non-profit legal centers that makes a huge difference in the lives of persons with disabilities. Ideal candidates have outstanding academic and professional credentials.
DRA has taken on more than 400 cases and won almost all, resulting in the elimination of solitary confinement in a California county juvenile hall, the provision of accessible taxis in New York City, and the creation of accessible websites, to name a few. No defendant is too big and no case avoided because it is novel. If you have substantial experience working on systemic impact litigation and want to make a long term commitment to a civil rights career, we’d love to hear from you.
Responsibilities & Qualifications
- 7-10 years’ recent litigation experience including the following:
- appearing in court
- taking and defending depositions
- developing and planning class action cases
- drafting and revising briefs
- negotiating settlements
- overseeing implementation of settlement agreements or consent decrees
- Class action experience strongly preferred and interest in developing and litigating complex class action cases required
- Connection to disability preferred, but extensive disability law experience not necessary
- Experience assisting with fundraising, PR, and communications work a plus
- Must be an active member of the California Bar, in good standing, or eligible to practice under California’s Multijurisdictional Practice Rule
DRA offers a competitive base salary with comprehensive benefits including medical, dental, and vision insurance with 100% paid employee premiums, 401(k) with company contribution, generous holiday and paid time off benefits, and additional health and commuter benefits.
Please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org with Senior Staff Attorney as the subject:
- Cover letter
- Three references
- A list of the major cases you have worked on and a description of your role
- A writing sample (no more than 3-5 pages)
DRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and values diversity. Applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, disability, veteran status, or any other category protected under the law.