A non-profit law firm advancing equal rights and opportunities for people with a wide range of disabilities, Disability Rights Advocates (DRA) is setting precedents and challenging norms. We provide free legal representation in complex, system changing, class-action cases.
As our small but mighty firm grows, we seek a Senior Paralegal in our Berkeley, CA office to provide legal support to our bi-coastal team of attorneys. You have the opportunity to both serve as a paralegal and to cultivate our junior paralegals and litigation assistants. Overseeing a team of 2-3 legal support staff, you will develop, implement, and institutionalize trainings for the paralegal team. You will keep our ground-breaking litigation on track and help investigate future cases. This is a new position with the opportunity to play an integral role in the future of DRA.
If you are a seasoned paralegal, proactive and organized, and interested in joining an organization proven to make positive change, we’d love to hear from you. DRA has taken on more than 400 cases and won almost all, resulting in the elimination of solitary confinement in Contra Costa County for juvenile inmates with learning disabilities, provision of accessible taxis in New York City, and the creation of accessible sidewalks throughout California. In the coming four years our work is more important than ever!
Your role will be approximately 70% hands on paralegal work and 30% management and development of our growing paralegal team.
- Oversee all ECF filings, from simple to complex, ensuring compliance with federal, state, and local filing laws, as well as judge’s standing orders.
- Track and monitor filing deadlines to ensure timely filings/delivery.
- Finalize documents for filing, including proofreading, preparing tables of authorities and contents, and formatting.
- Assist attorneys with discovery requests and production.
- Conduct complex Westlaw research and Bluebook cite checking.
- Conduct client intakes.
- Provide administrative support such scanning/copying and file management.
- Work with the attorneys to develop, implement, and institutionalize trainings for the legal support team to grow our team knowledge in all key responsibilities noted above. (We already have some great trainings established.)
- Serve as our onsite accessibility expert, formatting documents for blind and low-vision individuals. (If no experience, a willingness to learn is key! We have current knowledge on staff.)
- 4+ years experience working as a paralegal, with at least two years in California.
- 2+ years directly supervising and training other paralegals or litigation assistants.
- Compliant with Business & Professionals Code Section 6450-6456 including relevant education and training.
- Strong civil litigation comprehension.
- Attention to detail and excellent editing skills a MUST!
- Very strong oral and written communication for interactions with team, co-counsel, judges, etc.
- Technically savvy with working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Spanish speaker preferred but not required.
DRA offers a competitive base salary with comprehensive benefits including medical, dental, and vision insurance with 100% paid employee premiums, 401(k) with company contribution, PTO including our office closure from Christmas through New Year’s Day, paid company holidays, breakfast every morning, and additional health and commuter benefits.
How to Apply
Please send the below to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Senior Paralegal” as the subject.
- Thoughtful cover letter including salary expectations
- Three references (will not be called until you are informed)
DRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, disability or veteran status.