Disability Rights Advocates (DRA) is the leading nonprofit disability rights legal center in the nation advancing equal rights and opportunities for people with all types of disabilities. With offices in California and New York, DRA represents people with disabilities in complex, system-change, class-action cases, achieving dramatic improvements in all areas of life: technology, health care, employment, transportation, education, disaster preparedness planning, voting, juvenile justice, and housing.
For more information on DRA’s mission and impact visit www.dralegal.org
DRA seeks an experienced and highly organized full-charge bookkeeper with proficiency in Quickbooks. This is a new position, reporting to and working closely with our Director of Finance. DRA’s Bookkeeper will have the opportunity to oversee the full cycle of bookkeeping and payroll functions, ensuring the accuracy of financial data, to create and maintain systems for filing accounting records, and to conduct the monthly close, among other things. Ideal candidates excel at and enjoy working collaboratively in a highly professional environment.
With an organizational budget of $5M and a staff of 27 people, DRA is a small, financially stable organization, with a solid business model—generating revenue from attorney’s fees and fundraising.
This position is in our Berkeley, CA office.
- Manage accounts payable and receivable processes: ensure required approvals and documentation (including expense reimbursements), and enter data into Quickbooks
- Prepare and process weekly check runs, prepare bank deposits, and monitor operating cash levels
- Maintain general ledger and subsidiary ledgers, including updated fixed assets schedules
- Perform month-end close, including bank and credit card reconciliations and shared cost allocations
- Assist in tracking and reporting restricted income and spending against grants
- Maintain systems for tracking legal case expenses, over multiple years; reconcile and create settlement payout schedule for all parties
- Create and maintain sharable, audit-compliant filing systems for accounting and payroll documentation
- Ensure sound financial accounting practices and compliance with approved procedures
Payroll & Benefits
- Collect and input all payroll data into Paylocity and run semi-monthly payroll, communicating with managers to ensure timely submission of completed, approved timesheets
- Run Paylocity reports for management review
- Input and maintain HRIS information
- Respond to employee questions regarding payroll
- Administer quarterly and year end payroll taxes and reports
- Prepare 1099’s
- Partner with HR to review monthly benefits invoices, ensuring eligible personnel are covered as planned
Financial Reporting, Audit, Budget, and Other Responsibilities
- Prepare accurate financial reports in line with the monthly close and grant reporting schedules
- Support the annual audit process by preparing audit schedules and providing documentation and information to external auditors during all phases of the audit
- Coordinate with the Development department on proper designation and releases of restricted revenue
- Run ad hoc reports on legal case expenditures
- Input the annual budget into Quickbooks
Required Skills & Experience
- Minimum 4 years’ experience in an independently functioning, non-profit, full-charge bookkeeper role
- Highly organized with very reliable and accurate collection, reporting, and communication skills
- Demonstrated proficiency in Quickbooks, MS Excel, Word, Outlook, and electronic third party payroll systems (preferably Paylocity)
- Demonstrated knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) as they pertain to nonprofit accounting, and experience with grant management and reporting
- Proven ability to prioritize and complete work on an agreed-upon timeline
- Ability to work collaboratively and responsively with program, development, operations, and administration staff
Preferred Skills & Experience
- B.A. or A.A. in Accounting or Finance
- Bookkeeping Certificate, in lieu of B.A. or A.A. in Accounting or Finance
- Experience working with Paylocity
DRA offers a competitive base salary with comprehensive benefits including medical, dental, and vision insurance with 100% paid employee premiums, 401(k) with company contribution, generous holiday and paid time off benefits, and additional health and commuter benefits.
How to Apply
Please send the following to email@example.com with “Bookkeeper” as the subject:
- Cover letter including compensation expectations
- Three professional references (at least two direct supervisors)
DRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and values diversity. Applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and gender expression, disability, veteran status, or any other category protected under the law.