Development & Communications Assistant
With offices in California and New York, Disability Rights Advocates is the leading nonprofit disability rights legal center in the nation. DRA provides free legal representation to people with the full spectrum of disabilities in complex, system-change class-action cases. Founded in 1993, DRA has taken on and won hundreds of cases—achieving dramatic improvements for people with disabilities seeking health care, employment, transportation, education, disaster preparedness planning, voting and housing. DRA is seeking a savvy Development & Communications Assistant who shares our vision of creating a society that strives towards justice and fairness for all. For more information on DRA’s mission and impact, visit www.dralegal.org.
As DRA’s work and impact grows, our fundraising and communication efforts become increasingly important. DRA is seeking a detail-oriented, reliable, energetic, and tech savvy (including Salesforce), Development & Communications Assistant. This position will play a key role supporting all organization-wide fundraising and communications efforts—ensuring accurate and timely donor- and media-related information systems. If you are looking to grow your knowledge in non-profit development and communications and data management skills, we want to hear from you!
This is a part-time, 20 hours per week position in DRA’s downtown Berkeley office.
Donations & Donor Relations
- Generate timely donation acknowledgment letters
- Track and file all donations and acknowledgment letters in Salesforce database
- Update and maintain all donor information and relationships in Salesforce database
Press Releases & Media Outreach
- Create and maintain lists of press contacts
- Track and archive all resulting coverage
- Support posting to all social media platforms
- Send communications through email (MailChimp), social media, and posting to our website (WordPress and Gravity Forms)
- Support the design, draft, and printing of event collateral
- Secure accessibility accommodations as needed for events (i.e. braille materials, ASL or CART interpretation)
- Draft, send, and track event sponsorship solicitation, pledges, payments, and benefits
- Track attendees’ RSVPs, accessibility needs, and dietary needs in Salesforce database
- Other event assistance as needed
Assistance to Development & Communications Director
- Manage development and communications calendar
- Track and calendar relevant deadlines for all calls, emails, and meetings with donors and prospects, including grant-making foundations, in Salesforce database and MS Outlook
- Track RSVPs and take minutes for board committee meetings pertaining to fundraising
Appeals & Newsletters
- Create targeted mailing lists in Salesforce
- Layout, mail merge, and send targeted appeals to prospective donors
- Post newsletters via email (MailChimp), social media, and our website
- Commitment to the vision and mission of DRA
- Bachelor’s degree or currently attending
- 2+ years administrative experience, preferably in a non-profit development and/or communications department
- MS Office (Outlook, Excel, Powerpoint) and CRM database (Salesforce) proficiency required
- Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator) preferred
- Strong writing and communications skills with careful attention to detail
- Excellent multitasking and time management skills
- Strong work ethic under pressure and the ability to quickly adapt to changing circumstances
- Preference given to candidates with an eye for design!
This is an hourly position with paid sick leave benefits. Work schedule regarding days and times is negotiable.
How to Apply
Please send the below to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Development & Communications Assistant” as the subject.
- Thoughtful cover letter
- Three references (will not be called until you are informed)
DRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, disability or veteran status.