Communications & Development Coordinator
With offices in California and New York, Disability Rights Advocates is the leading nonprofit disability rights legal center in the nation. DRA provides free legal representation to people with the full spectrum of disabilities in complex, system-changing, class-action cases. Founded in 1993, DRA has taken on and won hundreds of cases—achieving dramatic improvements for people with disabilities seeking health care, employment, transportation, education, disaster preparedness planning, voting and housing.
DRA is seeking a Communications & Development Coordinator who shares our vision of creating a society that strives towards justice and fairness for all. For more information on DRA’s mission and impact, visit www.dralegal.org
The Communications & Development Coordinator is a full-time exempt position in our Berkeley, California office, and reports directly to the Managing Director, Development & Operations. In this role, you will be responsible for coordinating all external communications and fundraising activities as well as helping to oversee the work of our Development & Communications Assistant. The ideal candidate will be passionate about DRA’s mission, creative, tech-savvy, and have excellent communication and organization skills.
- Develop and implement a communications plan, including a method for tracking and reporting, for social media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube), print, e-mail, website, and video communications
- Create and maintain a style guide to govern all of DRA’s external communications
- Ensure all of DRA’s external communications are accessible to people with disabilities
- Manage day-to-day execution of social media messaging
- Manage day-to-day execution of all traditional media including press releases, in collaboration with attorneys and partner organizations
- Update and maintain the dralegal.org WordPress website, including optimizing for SEO
- Coordinate the creation and maintenance of all print marketing materials including brochures and event collateral
- Write, design, and distribute regularly scheduled online newsletters via MailChimp
- Coordinate the process of identifying, nominating, and achieving awards recognizing DRA’s attorneys’ outstanding legal work
- Generate timely reports on DRA’s communications activities for staff and Board leadership
- Supervise the tracking, processing, and reporting of all donations through DRA’s Salesforce-based Affinaquest database
- Supervise the tracking of donor communications and relationships
- Administer Salesforce database user accounts
- Coordinate the process of identifying, applying for, and achieving grants to support DRA’s work
- Coordinate DRA fundraising and friend-raising events
- Generate timely reports on DRA’s development activities for staff and Board leadership
- Commitment to the mission and vision of DRA
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- 2-3 years’ experience working in communications and/or development in a non-profit or for-profit setting with a proven track record of success
- Advanced proficiency with MS Office, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Ability to write creatively, clearly, and compellingly with an eye for detail and impeccable grammar
- Ability to think strategically
- A strong, results-driven work ethic paired with the ability to adapt quickly to changing situations and circumstances
- PR/media experience and/or social media marketing experience
- Experience with web publishing, SEO, and basic content management systems
- Website maintenance experience—WordPress preferred
- Experience with Salesforce/Affinaquest donor database management
- Graphic design skills and experience with the Adobe Creative Suite, especially InDesign
- Experience researching and writing successful grant proposals
- E-mail marketing skills and experience
DRA offers a competitive base salary with comprehensive benefits including medical, dental, and vision insurance with 100% paid employee premiums, 401(k) with company contribution, generous holiday and paid time off benefits, and additional health and commuter benefits.
How to Apply
Please send the following to email@example.com with Communications & Development Coordinator as the subject:
- Cover letter including compensation expectations
- Three professional references (at least two direct supervisors)
Ideal candidates can begin late January.
DRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and values diversity. Applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and gender expression, disability, veteran status, or any other category protected under the law.